Information Systems Consultant
PO Box 3725, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Assessments, Planning, Implementation
Documentation, Reports, Training,
Data, Systems, Integration
Michael Akana has over twenty years of experience with nonprofit and human service agencies and contracting on Information
Technology and Accounting projects. Below is a list of some of his accomplishments.
Michael Akana collaborated in 2005 to present a collaborative solution for Homeless Information Systems (HMIS) to the City of New
York Department of Homeless Service (NYC DHS). He also assisted a group of consultants to offer technical services in implementing Annual Progress Reports (APR) through the U.S.
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
Collaborative partners in HMIS and HUD Annual Progress Report (APR) solutions include Capital Technology Information Services
(CTIS) and Signet Programming Services, Inc.(Signet PSI). Our collaboration combines proven technologies used in research and clinical trials with experience in delivering technical
solutions to homeless and social services providers.
Michael is also currently bringing remote access of client management databases to homeless shelters served by the Shelter Network
of San Mateo County and to El Centro de Libertad, an outpatient drug and alcohol treatment center that maintains five locations on the San Francisco peninsula.
Other projects include:
- Created an accounts receivable application for local water utility
- Developed for the YMCA a system whereby 15,000 donor cards with participation and contribution history printed and were
routed to the most appropriate volunteer or staff member
- Designed and programmed a facility access control system, integrating a 386 PC and a bar code reader with existing membership
- Programmed general ledger post process interface that translated financial reports from an independent agency into the YMCA
- Developed with YMCA Director of Finance, a budget and financial reporting system that exported data from the accounting
system to Excel spreadsheets, summarized to the level of branch and program.
Program staff and branch executives presented balanced budgets which were then integrated into the annual corporate budget.
- Supported PC, Macintosh and Alpha Micro users onsite and remotely by telephone
- Programmed reports to extract United Way statistical reports from database of 45,000 participants at three branches and
additional remote sites of the YMCA.
- Managed data operations on network and overall systems operations on Alpha Micro computer, a multi-user computer handling
processing for 20 users at three branches plus corporate office and dial-up connections.
- Developed new accounting systems for North Peninsula Neighborhood Services and El Centro de Libertad
- Designed budgets for successful funding proposals to city, county, federal agencies as well as foundations
- Developed contact management databases in Microsoft Access for several agencies to manage mailings, events and fundraising
- Developed Client Management and Reporting Systems in Microsoft Access for the San Mateo County Core Social Services Network
and the Shelter Network
- Assisted in development of Volunteer management database in Microsoft Access for United Neighborhoods of Santa Clara County
- Setup mailing lists, distribution lists, and web sites for a variety of nonprofit organizations
- Documented systems and trained staff
...for human service agencies